The Recycling Occupational Therapist is only $25.00 with free shipping with Paypal

Offer only applies in continental United States

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Weighted lap bag Manipulation Activity

 
I know that my activities are motivating and beneficial when a client who struggles with motor planning and control seeks them out. this young man particularly likes the activities that vibrate. I am starting to add a new twist by attaching the activities to a weighted lap bag. In this photo you see a big bag of sand sewn inside a shopping bag with handles so that it is easier to carry around.  I think that some of my clients find the weight calming. The long white cord is cut from a plastic bottle and part of it is inside the bag. I cut a small hole in the bag for the cord to pop out of and sewed tightly around that hole. The electric toothbrush is duct taped to the end of the cord.
Many of my clients have behavioral problems- agitation, assaultive etc. but by giving them the sensory stimulation they need, a just right challenge, success and fun, the behavior problems are minimized. This young man has hemiplegia so he is doing a good job working on bilateral coordination, too.....

No comments: