Weavable Toys (patent Pending) by RecyclingOT, LLC are available via Paypal on my website:
page: http://www.weavabletoys.com They cost $20.00 and for a limited time shipping is free within the continental U.S.
Note: Boards are approximately 6 inches in width and height.
Activities can be graded according to the child's abilities:
- Younger children may simply remove the colorful shapes from the white strips
- or remove the shapes from the white strips that are woven through the boards (circle, square, rectangle and triangle). It is generally easier to develop dexterity by teaching children to first develop skills to remove the shapes. (Many 3 and 4 year olds can do this).
- Teach how to weave the shapes onto only the white strips without using boards or
- Weave the white strips through the black boards without using the shapes
- Finally- after practice the child is ready to weave the colorful shapes onto the white strips while weaving onto the board... (these last 3 activities are suitable for children 4-6 years of age).
Notice how the green shape on top is woven into the board using the same notches as the orange shape below it on the other side........ Pretty tricky!
The mushroom shaped tips on the strips woven into the squares and circles prevent them from falling out while weaving.
More challenging activities include:
1. Sequencing color patterns
2. Copying designs from another board or a photo of a board
3. Trace around the shapes or boards with woven shapes as though they were stencils. then see if the child can color them in to look like the design they had woven into the board.
4. Press Wikki Stix or pipe cleaners around the borders. Remove and color in.
4. Looking at the photo such as the one on the left and visualize how the lavender stars look on the other side. Then weave to create the designs on both sides. This might be the most challenging of all !
These materials can be used by typically developing children to develop eye-hand coordination and visual-perceptual skills. However, they are also ideal in helping children with challenges to learn how shapes are formed. All children can enjoy choosing how to arrange their shapes and colors for creativity and learning!