Wednesday, November 26, 2014
This adaptation was spontaneous and effective. The client tends to sit and stand hunched over. She does not want her dining equipment raised higher on a platform. I happened to have a cardboard tube from some packaging in my office and the cup fit inside it perfectly so that she can grasp the tube while eating. This set up is promoting a nice erect posture. I will be prettying up the tube with contact paper.
Wednesday, November 19, 2014
I designed this activity for an individual who is able to read and write. I wrote simple phrases on cards that I laminated and cut slits in the center for stringing.
There are 2 different products shown in the photos. One has the end of the cord attached to the top of a book stand using duct tape. I cut the flat plastic cord out of a shampoo bottle. There is another bottle attached to the board with black felt where the words are stored.
Since the book stands that I ordered came with battery powered lights that clipped on, I added a few so that the activity can be performed in a room darkened for relaxation.
The other photo shows the end of the cord attached to a green bottle handled so that he can tuck the end of the cord into it when finished. I just used the recycled materials, felt and duct tape that I had handy and this is how it turned out. You can use string or cord and make round holes in the word cards, but I have lots of plastic bottles available to use and these do not fray.
I love that he enjoyed reading the words. His eye hand coordination is pretty good so actually stringing, although fun was not as important as the fact that he raised his arms repeatedly to strengthen his upper extremities and neck muscles.
Wednesday, November 5, 2014
I made this loom by attaching the fabric pieces to a very large book stand. The book stand can have the angle adjusted but it is positioned vertically even though it doesn't look that way in the video. If you don't have such a fancy books tand try cuttinb a heavy duty box and folding to create a triangular frame.
I happened to have a lot of sticky back felt that was provided by a recycling center program. It is green and I used it to hold the red fabric strands in place. I also got the red felt (not sticky back) from the same recycling center. I sewed each red strand to a horizontal strip of fabric and taped securely in place across the top of the stand. You can't see it because it is covered by the green felt. The blue plastic is cut from the bottom of an old tent.
I wasn't sure whether to work on weaving from top to bottom or left to right but working top to bottom seemed easiest to make and use.
My goals were to improve visual attention, manipulation skills, learn over and under concepts to weave and most importantly to sit up erect and reach upward for strengthening and to improve posture.