"Infinity Walk" is a simple way of saying walk in the figure eight pattern. You can use chalk or place tape on the floor to draw the 8 or place any 2 objects that will be circled around as shown in my video.
The purpose of Infinity Walk is to improve brain function, specifically :
2.Use of peripheral vision
3.Using eyes together
7.Balance and rhythm
An OT does a nice job of explaining how infinity walk works.....http://youtu.be/Y5jAGZ8SWJA
The theory is that as I rapidly change directions from clockwise to counterclockise and back to clockwise, I am changing which side of the body I am leading with- helping my brain integrate the right and left sides of the body.
While children walk in the figure 8 pattern they may engage in additional activities that further challenge the visual, vestibular and proprioceptive sensory systems:
- provide movement descriptors such as slow, fast, walk high, low or take baby or giant steps
- tossing bean bags into boxes placed along the figure 8
- holding a clear plastic tube with a marble inside (ends taped), keeping the marble in the center.
- Throw and catch ball to self or another person
- Read flash cards of letters, numbers, words or sentences
- Skip, jump, do brain gym cross crawl (hand or elbow to opposite knee or foot)
Performing activities such as these while also walking in the figure 8 pattern increases body awareness and use of a large visual field since one needs to be aware of objects and where one is moving.
Dr. Deborah Sunbeck's Infinity Walk site